Yinka Olaito is happy,excited and passionate Communication specialist, Social Media expert, Trainer and speaker. Yinka Olaito helps brands(Profits and Non-profits)with effective communication and positioning for premium service delivery and returns. Yinka Olaito also has special interest in Development Communication and has consulted for noted UN Agencies. Yinka Olaito is the CCO of Michael Sage Consulting(Communication/digital media), African Child Education Right Initiatives(NGO) and Content Director, Africa Development Talk( online Platform for discussion on Policy, Governance, development across Africa)
Powerful positioning takes into account the omission, weaknesses or the boring aspect of those competing with it for attention. Today, brands must move pass message control and step into conversations where they are responsible to add value to their community. Digital communication has become one of the best ways to reach people and community with a very low cost but a higher demand for commitment and extra discipline.
The followings are some of the channels available to brands to communicate with their communities digitally.
1. Social Networks: there are ample opportunities available in this clime. For personal brands, there are too many options to explore. As a professional, entrepreneur, one can set up an account on the following radars that are free: Linkedin, Zoominfo,facebook, flickr, myspace etc. Some may believe that is not important, but these platforms among many other free sites offer a whole lot of opportunities.
2. IM platforms: This is called Instant messengers. This affords the users the opportunity to interact life with their communities. This can be used to clarify, communicate, answer questions etc. We have yahoo IM, Google chat, skype etc.
3. Blogs: This offer untold opportunities to interact with brand communities. This is a forum that is becoming trusted than the traditional media. People are trusting blogs now because it offers opportunity for feedback among others. What will make a blog great is the content and ability to market it well. Like the name implies, it is a weblog and all an individual needs is an access to internet and commitment.
4. Podcasts: I will like to use wikipedia definition of a podcast. It says “podcast is a series of audio or video digital-media files which is distributed over the Internet by syndicated download, through Web feeds, to portable media players and personal computers. Like the term broadcast, podcast can refer either to the series of content itself or to the method by which it is syndicated; the latter is also called podcasting. The host or author of a podcast is often called a podcaster.”
5. Email Signature: Email has come to stay. Biut the advantage that is not being utilized is the opportunity to customize and communicate brand’s relevance through its use.
6. Mobile phones: there is no need beating about the bush here, the mobile phones we all carry around are often under-utilized. Think about this.