Yinka Olaito is happy,excited and passionate Communication specialist, Social Media expert, Trainer and speaker. Yinka Olaito helps brands(Profits and Non-profits)with effective communication and positioning for premium service delivery and returns. Yinka Olaito also has special interest in Development Communication and has consulted for noted UN Agencies. Yinka Olaito is the CCO of Michael Sage Consulting(Communication/digital media), African Child Education Right Initiatives(NGO) and Content Director, Africa Development Talk( online Platform for discussion on Policy, Governance, development across Africa)
Airline business is a very expensive one. Every investor knows that ROI in this business is a long term. Keeping expenses low is one of the priorities of airline business. No sane business men will hire too many hands which add costs. The need to pick the best of the available great hands makes this business unique. Cabin crew is basically point of contact internal audience of any airline. Interestingly anyone with a basic degree can be hired even though there may be greater opportunity for those who speak two languages. This may not be a major prerequisite. Giving the fact that many airlines will be cutting down their jobs in this crunch, an individual with strong personal brand will excel in this profession.
To secure a position as a cabin crew which is also called flight attendant, individual must endeavor to build a strong personal brand that has emotional attachment from his/her target audience-employer and the air travelers/passengers. Today we will discuss some of the major stuffs that can enhance cabin crew differentiation.
1. Positive attitude: More than ever before, this is a great and vital force that can enhance a cabin crew’s personal rating. There is enough danger associated with air traveling; a negative personality can not be given any chance. Individual must work so hard on his/her attitude. Being positive beyond measure will give your brand a great differentiation.
2. Excellent interpersonal relationship skill: Since your job bring you before people who come from different spheres of life: the low and high class, ability to relate with everyone with a great sense of dignity will help position your brand among your peers. Sometimes the passenger will annoys you, ability to always remain calm in the face of provocation will build a lot of credibility for your brand.
3. Good grooming: Ability to carry yourself with great pride, a well-laundered uniform, personal carriage, confidence will go a long way to help Brand You. Good grooming also speaks of your speech, intonation, phonetic that is exactly like the native speaker will help. Even if you are not a native speaker, consider a little investment in this regard as it would pay a greater dividend. Being approachable, enthusiastic will help brand YOU.
4. Bi-lingua: Ability to speak two languages as an international flight attendant will also give you a greater edge. I do understand that as international route cabin crew, you work for maximum of four days a week, investing the two days in learning new language will pay you a great dividend.
5. Athletic build: most airlines do not hire plump people, so a great athletic build, shape will help your brand retainership. Also realize that since you are to ensure safety of the passengers in case of any mishap, keeping fit will work for you to perform your duty.
6. Good customer service: a smiling face, a friendly nature, a cheerful face even in the face of distress, uncertainties will help brand You in this profession. You will always use the weapon of patient, consideration, etiquette. Because cabin crews are faces of the airline, they must excel in this skill. #The other points will be featured in my soon to be released free e-book “Personal Branding For First class Professionals”