Yinka Olaito is happy,excited and passionate Communication specialist, Social Media expert, Trainer and speaker. Yinka Olaito helps brands(Profits and Non-profits)with effective communication and positioning for premium service delivery and returns. Yinka Olaito also has special interest in Development Communication and has consulted for noted UN Agencies. Yinka Olaito is the CCO of Michael Sage Consulting(Communication/digital media), African Child Education Right Initiatives(NGO) and Content Director, Africa Development Talk( online Platform for discussion on Policy, Governance, development across Africa)
I have watched with dismay how millions of Naira have been wasted on adverts by brands because of the erroneous believe that adverts alone is the buzz word to get into limelight. My heart aches when I see small business start getting involved in the rat race instead of using other avenues that can achieve same purpose. There are many other ways by which brand customers can get to know about the brand than advertising. This is not the topic of today. Our concern here is to point out avenues that make investment on advertising wasteful.
1. Spending on what is not working: Advertising must have a purpose. There is a need for goal setting. As we know, most advertising is geared towards creating awareness for a service and product. If the content, design of the advert does not support the purpose, stop the advert or you will just be wasting money.
2. Doing it for competitors’ sake: when advert has no any other purpose except for the fact that your competitors are doing it, every investment will be wasteful as there will be no goal in view. Looking like Jones do not help
3. No personal touch: when the language of the advert is impersonal it may fail. Every copy of the advert must be a personal communication to a particular person in mind.
4. No unique message: run off the mills ad messages do not achieve any desirable result. Today, there are too many voices in town without any unique differentiation. That is the reason a professional has to assist brand owners. The message must be unique to get attention desired.
5. Institutional advertising instead of direct advertising: many start up companies/brand need to concentrate on direct advertising instead of institutional advertising. The purpose of direct advertising is often to produce a clear response. One of the advantages of direct response advertising is that it easier to tell whether it is working. For a start up there should be no half-hearted combination of direct response with any other ones.