Yinka Olaito is happy,excited and passionate Communication specialist, Social Media expert, Trainer and speaker. Yinka Olaito helps brands(Profits and Non-profits)with effective communication and positioning for premium service delivery and returns. Yinka Olaito also has special interest in Development Communication and has consulted for noted UN Agencies. Yinka Olaito is the CCO of Michael Sage Consulting(Communication/digital media), African Child Education Right Initiatives(NGO) and Content Director, Africa Development Talk( online Platform for discussion on Policy, Governance, development across Africa)
The crunch is affecting many brands. There is no pretense about this. The crunch is already affecting many brands’ positioning as many brands are now running from pillar to post. The effect of this instability will make a lot of brands to lose their positioning. Many are already abandoning their known positions to try out new schemes that can guarantee quick returns. The effect of this is that their brands may become oblivion as the dust settles. Their brands’ names may not command any attention again. Never take your brand positioning today to the slaughterer’s lab because of the crunch. This is the best time to maintain consistency. Consistency pays big dividend at the end I assure you. To ensure the safety of your brand’s positioning, let us examine the followings;
1. Focus: Be focused irrespective of what is and be persistence. Give direction and energy to your brand.
2. Brand audit: what was the initial motive of your brand? Is your brand still pursuing that goal or it has shifted because of the present circumstances? Why the defiance if there is one, is it because of money or survival?
3. Pursue your differentiation: Your brand still need to vehemently pursue its differentiation irrespective of the crunch. Your brand needs not to be Jones today, John tomorrow. That destroys your positioning.
4. Consistency of message: stop sending conflicting messages. It does not aid memorability.
5. Take a stand: There is a lot of distraction now because of the crunch. Several ‘principles’ to handle the time are flying around. Learn to say No even when it is not convenient. Following the path of least resistance makes a river’s path crooked.