24 September 2009 46 Comments

Take advantage of word of mouth

Author: yinkaolaito

Yinka Olaito is happy,excited and passionate Communication specialist, Social Media expert, Trainer and speaker. Yinka Olaito helps brands(Profits and Non-profits)with effective communication and positioning for premium service delivery and returns. Yinka Olaito also has special interest in Development Communication and has consulted for noted UN Agencies. Yinka Olaito is the CCO of Michael Sage Consulting(Communication/digital media), African Child Education Right Initiatives(NGO) and Content Director, Africa Development Talk( online Platform for discussion on Policy, Governance, development across Africa)

brand-wombrandSometimes when we consider what has been said in the praise of word of mouth, we may  feel people are over flogging the issue. The truth is word of mouth marketing is the future and backbone of marketing. A brand that enjoys great and outstanding word of mouth will gain substantial market share as brand may not reach that status until it has built strong emotional attachment to itself. In my research on why WOM is important, I recently stumbled on an article that  captures it essence. In the said article, word of mouth article is associated with pre-existing phenomenon that people of past ages used which is today being re-invented, harnessed, amplified and improved. Word of mouth isn’t about creating word of mouth.  It is learning how to make it work within a marketing objective. Word of mouth energizes people to share their experiences. It is the agglomeration of the voices of the customer for the good of the brand. And it is the acceptance of the fact that unsatisfied customer is equally powerful.

Word-of-mouth ranges from a variety of subcategories, including buzz, blog, viral, grassroots, and niche influencers. The personal nature of the communications between individuals is believed to add a lot of credibility. Research points to individuals being more inclined to believe WOM than more formal forms of promotion. That does not in any way mean promotion does not work. The receiver of word-of-mouth referrals tends to believe that the communicator is speaking honestly and is not likely to have an ulterior motive. Let us examine few benefits of word of mouth.

1. Trust: Word of mouth builds trust among community

2. Credibility: This speaks of integrity, standing, sincerity, authority. Promotion, advertising may not be able

3. Increase viral relevance: Word of mouth helps build viral relevance and significance

4. It helps solidify brand position

46 Responses to “Take advantage of word of mouth”

1. gry 9 August 2010 at 11:46 pm #

I just sent this post to a bunch of my friends as I agree with most of what you’re saying here and the way you’ve presented it is awesome.

2. quality article directory 10 August 2010 at 11:08 pm #

I can see how you can be annoyed with all these article directories. I would like a list of article directories that quickly accepts articles.

3. Fasthosts Review 12 August 2010 at 1:58 am #

Thank you for this post, It’s a interesting read which was extremely helpful.

4. Forum Avatars 12 August 2010 at 8:41 pm #

This is a subject near to my heart thanks, found you through Bing.

5. Ezra Madonia 13 August 2010 at 8:57 am #

Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again – taking you feeds also, Thanks.

6. Jana Malekan 13 August 2010 at 9:51 am #

News stories, “This is such a BIG deal”…………… I think I have been redacted.How to pay can be found on its website.

7. Brain Eating Vaccine 14 August 2010 at 5:38 am #

Very nice and helpful information has been given in this article. I like the way you explain the things. Keep posting. Thanks. . .

8. Beats 14 August 2010 at 5:59 am #

While we’re in the Take advantage of word of mouth | The Branding Gavel zone, Let me start out by saying that there is a big difference between “beef” and “battling”. Beef is what happens on the streets and even in the boardroom. Battling is competition; what happens in sports for example and of course Hip-Hop music. Battling is the foundation of MC’ing.

9. Bart Anthony 14 August 2010 at 8:03 pm #

Information similar to what you described here is going to be very useful to me. I will post a website link to this page on my blog. I am sure my members will find that interesting.

10. créer site 29 September 2010 at 4:08 pm #

Remerciment, félicitation et respect.

11. Player Profiles 30 October 2010 at 8:16 am #

You you could edit the page subject title Take advantage of word of mouth | The Branding Gavel to more catching for your content you create. I loved the post yet.

12. authentic nikes 9 November 2010 at 6:48 am #

Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.

13. Tomi Truglia 17 January 2011 at 7:33 pm #

Being a blog reader, I’m readily on the search for reads which are both appealing and worthwhile to digest and also I must say the weblog passed my criteria. Thank you a lot for the wonderful articles you have created! Will be coming back quickly!

14. Kizzy Paparo 25 January 2011 at 9:19 pm #

I very much enjoy your blog here, thank you so much you have helped me out greatly Smile spread the love.

15. Travel Offers 17 February 2011 at 2:36 am #

Man I love this post and it was so fabulous and I am definetly going to save it. One thing to say the Superb analysis this article has is trully remarkable.Who goes that extra mile these days? Bravo.. Just one more suggestion you shouldget a Translator for your Worldwide Readers !!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks.

1. New Articles » Archives » They made a considerable impression on me. - February 26, 2011

[…] Doing it is a crowd pleaser. Ordinary human beings don’t desire to go deep into that duty. Do you have to believe positive? It makes a buying urge when I see it. They made a considerable impression on […]