25 December 2009 24 Comments

Personal elevator speech:keep it simple

Author: yinkaolaito

Yinka Olaito is happy,excited and passionate Communication specialist, Social Media expert, Trainer and speaker. Yinka Olaito helps brands(Profits and Non-profits)with effective communication and positioning for premium service delivery and returns. Yinka Olaito also has special interest in Development Communication and has consulted for noted UN Agencies. Yinka Olaito is the CCO of Michael Sage Consulting(Communication/digital media), African Child Education Right Initiatives(NGO) and Content Director, Africa Development Talk( online Platform for discussion on Policy, Governance, development across Africa)

elevator speechBrand elevator speechIn about two weeks ago, I had the opportunity of anchoring a reunion meeting for my Alma matter where I did my undergraduate studies. As the custom is, during most reunion meetings, each person has opportunity to introduce him/herself to the group. The first thing that dawn on me was that many still do not still have a sellable personal elevator speech in this age and time. Personal selling speech is ‘insanely’ important today because it tells people at a glance who you are.

May be one day we will focus on that here. Most people that I listened to confused this great personal marketing tool with what their job titles are and  what their companies are offering.

Personally, though I learnt a great  lesson that day as a professional. Because I assumed this gathering brings together graduates who have left college for years and most of whom are gainfully employed, I played the expert game when it came to my turn to introduce myself.

Ideally on a good day, my elevator speech runs like this: I am Yinka Olaito. I help individuals, organizations to maximize values in their brands/ideas through adequate positioning of their brands to the target audience that can pay premium. My competitive advantage is in developing engaging strategy that turns customers to advocates .I am a multi-skilled individual who combines passion with right skills to make my unique difference. If there is time, I now add those skills I use that you can find here.

With the assumption that I am talking to learned persons that they are, I just used my usual byline above. The chorus of: ha ha, ha ha, caught my attention and I was wondering what I did wrong. The truth I learnt was that, while using your elevator speech, look around at your audience and break it down to their levels incase you may be sounding too big to the people you want to sell yourself to. I learnt that day to look around and see whether I need to simplify my elevator speech based on the environment. I immediately coined a simpler one for audience that may find the above too big to comprehend. So here is what I came out with: I am yinka olaito, I help individuals, organizations create, find opportunities that give them vantage position .Do you agree with me, can you share your own experience in this regard?

24 Responses to “Personal elevator speech:keep it simple”

1. cipro dosage 26 December 2009 at 5:01 am #

I read a few topics. I respect your work and added blog to favorites.

2. Mohammed Al-Taee, PMP 26 December 2009 at 12:38 pm #

I like the short one but its general. Its better to know who is your audience and if they are entry, professional or executive, etc.

3. betfair exchange baccarat 28 December 2009 at 2:21 am #

Good and in depth article but full of useful information

4. Bill Morgan 28 December 2009 at 2:36 am #

When creating an elevator pitch, better to get it as succinct as possible. Some people even say 5-6 words. I’ve been told, If you can explain what you do in a sentence, it shows you truly understand what you do.
    Many people say what their pitch but it’s so general it doesn’t demonstrate your abilities.

Keep up the great blog

Bill Morgan
    The Job Swami Career Advice Site

5. yinka olaito 28 December 2009 at 1:15 pm #

@Mohammed,Bill, Thanks for your insightful contribution

6. Nicola Dann 20 February 2010 at 8:58 am #

Very interesting post

7. kunstharz 8 March 2010 at 2:33 pm #

I found your Blog when I was searching for cipro and I need to say, you do a really good job. You article helps me a lot! Thanks.

8. Free Insur 27 March 2010 at 4:51 pm #

Waugh. Great blog. Found it by accident when I search for currency exchange rates. But belive me, I´ll come back to this great blog

9. Nieves Nevala 13 April 2010 at 9:52 pm #

Wow dude, I didn’t new that, cheers.

10. Mauricio Spegal 18 April 2010 at 12:18 pm #

Many thanks to the terrific article, this must have used a bit to make with terrific info.

11. where to exchange foreign currency 5 June 2010 at 3:35 pm #

“It would be more useful if they were in a particular order.” Why? The utility of a tag cloud is not to show order but to show frequency, is it not?

12. leveling guides 3 August 2010 at 5:36 am #

Cheers for producing this submit, I truly appreciate the input. Appear foward to reading quickly.

13. Coloring Pages 4 August 2010 at 5:47 pm #

I enjoyed this. A good quick read.

14. Gravura Andrei 7 August 2010 at 12:09 am #

Super writing. You have gained a new fan. Please maintain the fabulous posts and I look forward to more of your newsworthy updates.

15. Thank you for another wonderful article. Where else could I get this kind of info written in such an incite full way? We’ve a project that I’m just now working on, and I’ve been looking for such information¡­ Regards

16. Penaherrera : 26 October 2010 at 11:23 am #

i always seek career advice from my parents and from industry professionals*:.

17. Araceli Dolfay 11 May 2011 at 2:19 pm #

I would like to say “wow” what a inspiring post. This is really great. Keep doing what you’re doing!!

18. lisa 18 October 2011 at 7:35 pm #

Once I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can take away me from that service? Thanks!

19. Lauren Garlington 10 November 2011 at 10:31 am #

Waiting for your next post!!

20. yoursurprise-1 6 December 2011 at 9:40 am #

Fantastic blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Bless you!

21. jason 15 December 2011 at 9:16 am #

you may have an ideal blog here! would you wish to make some invite posts on my blog?

22. karen 19 December 2011 at 4:12 pm #

I’m impressed, I must say. Actually hardly ever do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you could have hit the nail on the head. Your thought is excellent; the issue is one thing that not sufficient individuals are speaking intelligently about. I’m very blissful that I stumbled throughout this in my search for one thing referring to this.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks.

1. Tweets that mention Personal elevator speech:keep it simple | The Branding Gavel -- Topsy.com - December 25, 2009

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Yinka Olaito, taiwo olukayode. taiwo olukayode said: RT @pathfindernig: Secret of grand elevator speech, my blog :http://yinkaolaito.com/2009/12/personal-elevator-speechkeep-it-simple/ […]

2. uberVU - social comments - December 25, 2009

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by pathfindernig: Secret of grand elevator speech, my blog :http://yinkaolaito.com/2009/12/personal-elevator-speechkeep-it-simple/